I made this recipe while back and posted the photo on Instagram. I was inspired to make this dish after I had seen an Instagram post from one of my favourite health bloggers, Mckel at Nutrition Stripped. Her photo looked so delicious. So I clicked on her site to checked out what ingredients were needed, and it so happened that I had all the ingredients in my cupboard, so I decided to give the recipe a shot.
I really liked this dish! But I didn’t Iove it, so I had to make a few tweaks for my taste. The end result……Creamy, savoury, sauce you can’t believe you didn’t think of it on your own.
I love the idea of using pumpkin puree for a sauce instead of the classic tomato or alfredo. It’s a surprising and wonderful change from the classic pasta topping.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do, let me know how it turned out for you.
This dish was inspired by Mckel at Nutrition Stripped.
//ROASTED PUMPKIN SAUCE //
- 1 sugar pumpkin roasted then pureed
- 4 tbsp apple sauce
- 2 tbsp dried sage
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 head of roasted garlic (roast with pumpkin)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- garnish: roasted pumpkin seeds, a dash of cinnamon, pomegranate seed, and pine nuts
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F
- Slice the sugar pumpkin in half, placing the flesh side up and drizzle with olive oil, bake the pumpkin on a paper lined baking sheet. then cut the top of a whole garlic bulb drizzle olive oil and bake with the pumpkin for 45 minutes or until tender.
- In the meanwhile prepare your choice of pasta or zucchini noodles
- once the pumpkin is soft, let it cool a bit and then scoop out the pumpkin from its skin and add to a high-speed blender or food processor. Puree the pumpkin with garlic and all remaining sauce ingredients. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Transfer the pumpkin puree into a medium pot on the stove top to heat through again, if the sauce is too thin you can also reduce and thicken the sauce during this step.
Use the Roasted pumpkin sauce on pasta or zucchini noodles, top with nuts, seed or whatever you fancy.